Facebook could have been the best thing on Internet. But the guys behind it have ruined it. It is now the antithesis of social networking.
Facebook is killing the open web
Facebook does and again censor any content that it does not like, arbitarily, unilaterally, quite anti-socially. And no, I'm not talking about removing pictures of breastfeeding mothers.
- Nov 4, 2014: Kiss of Love page blocked, reinstated - 50,000 likes (This might have been an account compromise)
- April 12, 2015: Facebook removes all shared links of AIB's video in favor of net neutrality
- June 7, 2015: Indian Atheists page marked unsafe - 28,000 likes
- October, 2015: Links to tsu.co was being marked unsafe even in private messages. I came to know about this on 9th Nov, 2015 and that's the day I deleted my facebook profile.
- September, 2016: Link to article containing the legendary war picture of Kim Phuc removed and the link to article criticizing this removal also removed.
- November, 2016: Donald Trump.
Facebook has created a "platform" (better called a partnership) titled Internet.org (better titled Facebook zero). For promoting this all kinds of lies have been sewn together about how it does not violate net neutrality, how it will bring Internet to the remote areas that do not have Internet yet, how it can even be called a set of basic services, etc.
To promote the above they went on a missed call campaign which operated like this:
- Facebook sends an SMS to people saying "If you support free Internet, miss call to
- Once the person gives a misscall, another SMS is received saying "muft main internet ka samarthan karne ke liye dhanyawad" (from VM-INTORG)
This is misleading at best and a blatant lie
Squeezing money from pages
Despite pages receiving organic likes, the posts they make aren't seen by users because Facebook intentionally hides posts from people. This is so that Facebook can later ask pages to pay Facebook to "boost posts".
Delete Your Account
On 9th November, 2015, (coincidentally, the 11th birthday of firefox) I downloaded my data and permanently deleted my Facebook account.